Resources for Researchers, Educators, Decision-Makers and Veterans
Resources & REFERENCE MATERIAL relating to
WOMEN VETERANS RETRAINING FOR CYBERSECURITY CAREERS
The resources compiled below are currently available documents, articles, websites and online platforms. These resources are intended to inform and help decision makers on the topic of retraining women veterans for careers in the cybersecurity workforce. To propose additional useful resources, please contact [email protected].
Closing the Gap Video and White Papers
- Watch the video - Candid interviews with 6 women veterans.
- Closing the Gap Part I: Women Veterans' Challenges - PDF (4 pages)
- Closing the Gap Part II: Moving from a Military Life to a Civilian Life - PDF (3 pages)
- Closing the Gap Part II: Women Veterans: New Cybersecurity Skills - PDF (3 pages)
Quick Links - Resources Section
Statistics on Women Veterans Challenges Faced by Women Veterans Scholarship Opportunities Educational Resources Women in the Workplace Transition Assistance Program (TAP) DoD SkillBridge Program Organizations of Interest Military Spouses
Statistics & Reports on Women Veterans
- Association of the United States Navy - DOD Releases 2018 Demographic Report
- Council on Foreign Relations - Demographics of the U.S. Military (last updated July 13, 2020; includes information on women and minorities)
- Hire Heroes USA Report - The Hire Heroes 2019 Report (finds wage gap widened for women veterans, military spouses) - PDF (202 pages)
- Lumina Foundation - Veterans Without Degrees - The Benefits and Opportunities of Certificates and Certifications - PDF (16 pages)
- Military Leadership Diversity Commission - Military Occupations and Implications for Racial/Ethnic and Gender Diversity Officers - PDF (4 pages)
- National Bureau of Economic Research - Searching for Stars: Work Experience as a Job Market Signal for Workers Without Bachelor's Degrees - PDF (29 pages)
- National Science Foundation, National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics Directorate for Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences 2021 Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities in Science and Engineering - PDF (62 pages)
- Pennsylvania State University, Clearinghouse for Military Family Readiness, Veteran Network - The Veterans Metrics Initiative and the Veterans Engaging in Transition Studies (prepared for the Closing the Gap Conference) - PDF (22 pages)
- SAMHSA.gov and PARTNERS for recovery - Report - Understanding the Military: The Institution, the Culture, and the People; Information for Behavioral Healthcare Specialists Working with Veterans and Service Members - PDF (38 pages)
- Statista - Distribution of active-duty enlisted women and men in the U.S. Military in 2018, by race and ethnicity - PDF available for download
- Syracuse University IVMF Reports:
Enhancing Veterans’ Access to STEM Education and Careers: A Labor Market Analysis of Veterans in the STEM Workforce – Presents key highlights on veteran participation in the STEM workforce drawing upon an analysis of the American Community Survey (2012-2016) with some inferences related to veterans in STEM self-employment.
Women in the Military: Transition, Employment, and Higher Education After Service – This infographic provides key highlights on women in the military. Derived from various data collection efforts centered on transition, employment, entrepreneurship, and higher education.
Women in the Military: From Service to Civilian Life – This infographic provides key highlights on women in service along with invaluable data on women veterans.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics - Employment Situation of Veterans
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics - Current Population Survey, Databases, Tables & Calculators by Subject
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - Facts and Statistics about Women Veterans
Women Veterans in STEM Convening Recommendations
Women Veterans in STEM Research Reports
Challenges Faced by Women Veterans
- Apporva Mittal, Military Times, July 18, 2019 - Why leaving the military is harder for female vets
- Derek Turner, Stars and Stripes - Vets Facing Difficult Transition to Civilian Jobs
- Diane Hudson, Job-Hunt.org - Understanding How Military and Civilian Cultures Differ
- Megan Sienkiewicz, Aneline Amalathas, Katherine Iverson, Brian Smith, Karen Mitchell - Examining the Association between Trauma Exposure and Work-Related Outcomes in Women Veterans
- Sarah Maples, The Atlantic, November 22, 2017 - The Inconvenience of Being a Woman Veteran
- Service Women's Action Network, January 2017 - First Annual Planning Summit: Historic Changes, Significant Challenges - PDF (28 pages)
- Social Work Today, Vol. 18, No. 6, p.24 - Issues Facing Today's Female Veterans - 'Feeling Invisible and Disconnected'
- Rachelle S. Heller, Costis Toregas, Taly Walsh - Closing the Gap Part I: Women Veterans' Challenges - PDF (4 pages)
- Rachelle S. Heller, Costis Toregas, Taly Walsh - Closing the Gap Part II: Moving from a Military Life to a Civilian Life - PDF (3 pages)
- Rachelle S. Heller, Costis Toregas, Taly Walsh - Closing the Gap Part II: Women Veterans: New Cybersecurity Skills - PDF (3 pages)
- Dept. of Defense (DoD) Cyber Scholarship Program (CySP) - Information for Managers/Supervisors - PDF (1 page)
- Dept. of Veterans Affairs scholarship - Rogers STEM scholarship; Also download "Helping Post-9/11 GI Bill STEM Students Cross the Finish Line" - PDF infographic
Educational Resources and Assistance
- Infosec Institute: 2021 Cybersecurity Role & Career Path Clarity Study - Using the NICE Workforce Framework for Cybersecurity to recruit talent & upskill teams - PDF (11 pages)
- National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies (NICCS) - Federal Virtual Training Environment (FedVTE) - Free online cybersecuerity training for veterans.
- VA Benefits - Tutoring Assistance
- VA Benefits - Education and Training - Accelerated Payments of High-Technology Programs
- VA Benefits - Education and Training - Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees
- Women Veterans in STEM - Strengthening the Pipeline from Service to STEM
Women in the Workplace and Employment Resources
McKinsey & Company and LeanIn.Org: Women in the Workplace 2020 - A comprehensive study of the state of women in corporate America; focusing on how the pandemic has affected women at work, including the unique impact on women of different races and ethnicities, working mothers, women in senior leadership, and women with disabilities. - PDF (63 pages)
- Military.com Military Skills Translator - Matching Military Experience to Civilian Jobs - web-based tool
- MilitaryTimes RebootCamp - Education/Employment/Entrepreneurship - Best for Vets Employers 2018. MilitaryTimes invited companies from across the country to fill out a rigorous, 90-question survey evaluating their culture, recruitment, and policies for veteran service members and military families.
- NIST National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education (NICE): Improving Veteran Transitions to Civilian Cybersecurity Roles: Workshop Report - PDF (25 pages)
- VA Benefits - for Veterans with service-connected disabilities and other helpful resources
- Vets2Industry Scholarship Opportunities - Funding opportunities for higher education in the military community
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics - 2018 Standard Occupational Classification System
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics - Employment by detailed occupation
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics - Occupational Outlook Handbook, Computer and Information Technology
- U.S. Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship, Career Seekers/Service Members and Veterans page: Apprenticeship.Gov
- U.S. Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship - Employer / Hire Veterans page
- U.S. Department of Labor - VETS Hire a Veteran website
- U.S. Department of Labor - Employer Guide to Hiring Veterans - PDF (23 pages)
Transition Assistance Program (TAP) - A collaborative effort among seven federal agencies.
- About TAP - website
- Managing Your Transition Timeline - PDF List of Resources with links (1 page)
- September 26, 2019 - DoD Instruction 1332.35: Transition Assistance Program (TAP) for Military Personnel - PDF Issuance establishing policy, assigning responsibilities, and providing direction for the DoD TAP (54 pages)
- April 30, 2019 - Statement of Mr. Brian S. Davis, Director, Defense Personnel and Family Support Center, Department of Defense before the House Committee on Veterans Affairs Subcommittee on Economic Opportunity - PDF statement for oversight hearing on "Fiscal Year 2020 President's Budget: Requests Related to Veterans' Readjustment Benefits." (15 pages)
- August 1, 2018 - Testimony of Ms. Lauren Augustine, Vice President of Government Affairs, Student Veterans of America before the Committee on Veterans' Affairs U.S. Senate - PDF of testimony proposing improvements to TAP (Structure & Support; Curriculum; Supporting Spouses; Creation of a Governing Board; Community Impact; Career Readiness and Professional Development; Alumni Network; Data and Research; and the Better Access to Technical Training, Learning and Entrepreneurship (BATTLE) for Servicemembers Act (6 pages)
DoD SkillBridge Program
Organizations of Interest
- Center for Women Veterans (CWV), U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - Subscribe to the newsletter!
- Hire Heroes USA
- Military Cyber Professionals Association (MCPA)
- National Cyber League
- PennState University - Clearinghouse for Military Family Readiness - Resources
- Service Women's Action Network (SWAN) Programs
- Society of American Military Engineers (SAME)
- Student Veterans of America
- Syracuse University - Institute for Veterans & Military Families - Onward to Opportunity (O2O)
- Wounded Warrior Project
May 2018 - The Council of Economic Advisers: Military Spouses in the Labor Market - PDF Report (8 pages)
Spouse Education & Career Opportunities - myseco.militaryonesource.mil website (part of the DoD network of support for the military community)
Syracuse University IVMF: Employing Military Spouses - The Force Behind The Force Series - Highlights the unique employment challenges for military spouses due to frequent relocation and limited access to career enhancing opportunities as a result of these relocations.